Everything in God’s Word leads to Christ, and the tree is an important symbol to the progressive story that the Bible tells, from cover to cover.
• The tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil (Sin enters the world). By nature, starting with Adam, through his sins, man separated himself from God. This is man’s problem. (Rom. 3:10-23).
v23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
• The tree of Life (Eternal life and reward). God cast out Adam and Eve so that they would not partake of the tree of life resulting in mankind living in an unredeemable state forever. (Romans 5:17)
v17 For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.
• The Vine (Israel and its planting). No nation has been more favored of God than Israel. But Israel was a degenerate vine. (John 15:5) The church is NOT the true vine; Christ is the vine. The church cannot fulfill Israel’s destiny without Christ.
v5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
• The Fig Tree (Israel and its rejection). Simply put, the wages of our sins is death (Spiritual death) (Rom. 6:23).
v23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
• The Olive Tree (New life, new beginning) However, to accept God’s solution through His death, we, because of our problem, have to confess with our mouths and believe in our hearts that Jesus is Lord. Man has to call on the Lord to receive salvation (Romans 10:13). This is man’s response.
v13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
• Christ hangs on the tree (Forgiveness and redemption from sin). Jesus paid for our sin debt. This is God’s solution. (Rom. 5:8).
v8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
• The Cross is the tree of Life (Salvation and eternal life given). Salvation comes by faith (Rom. 10:9,10).
v9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
v10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
This is basically the Bible and the Gospel in a nut shell told through the tree.